The Central Labrador community of North West River has been used as a congregational meeting place by nomadic fur traders for the past 3000 years(documented). The village was established as a community in 1743 by Louis Fornel when the fur trade between the Innu, Métis, Inuit and European explorers became a commercial entity. History has seen French Revillion and Freres and the Hudson's Bay Company establish North West River as an isolated center of commerce. This commerce also brought with it the International Grenfell Association’s center of health care and educational services.
Sivunivut was successful in obtaining funding to complete an Economic Leakage Study. The goal is to complete an economic leakage study that will help reverse the current trend of outflow of spending from North West River into the neighbouring central Labrador community of Happy Valley – Goose Bay. This study will identify specific business opportunities for North West River that would bring new businesses, jobs and wealth back into the community.